International Competitions and Assessments for Schools (ICAS) 2014
ICAS provides an opportunity for students to gain a measure of their own achievement in an external testing situation.
At OLA this year we intend to offer this opportunity to all Year 5-8 students. There is no pressure at all to participate in all or any of these tests should you not wish your child to do so. All participating students receive a certificate and an individual student report indicating which questions they answered correctly and their score compared with the rest of the students tested. The certificate and individual student report are also suitable for your child to include in a portfolio.
Certificates are awarded for each year level as follows:
- High Distinction to the top 1% of entrants
- Distinction to the next 10% of entrants
- Credit to the next 25% of entrants
- Participation to all other participating students.
A UNSW medal is awarded when the highest score in each year level in each subject is judged to be sufficiently meritorious. Students must sit on the official sitting dates to be eligible for a UNSW medal.
The entry fee per student is as follows:
- Computer Skills – 20 May 2014 (NZD8.50)
- Science – 4 June 2014 (NZD8.50)
- Writing – 16 June 2014 to 20 June 2014 (NZD19.50)
- Spelling – 17 June 2014 (NZD10.50)
- English – 29 July 2014 (NZD8.50)
- Mathematics – 12 August 2014 (NZD8.50)
- All of the above (NZD64.00)
Please return the permission slip (to be found under resources tab) and entry fee by: Monday 3 March 2014
If you have no internet access at home please feel free to call into the office for help with this.